UK: M&S ekes out LFL food sales growth
M&S "outperformed" food market, chief executive Marc Bolland said
Marks and Spencer today (10 April) reported slowing like-for-like food sales but eked out growth slightly above analyst forecasts.
The UK retailer posted a 0.1% rise in underlying food sales for its fourth quarter, which ran for the 13 weeks to the 29 March.
In its third quarter, M&S saw like-for-like food sales rise 1.6%. However, this year's later Easter dampened the results. Analysts had estimated M&S's fourth-quarter food like-for-likes would be flat year-on-year. Total food sales rose 2.5%.
Chief executive Marc Bolland said: "Our food business had a great quarter, against tough comparatives. We outperformed the market once again."
Neil Saunders, MD of retail analysts Conlumino, said: "On the food front, M&S continues to post respectable numbers. Total growth looks healthy and although like-for-like sales are virtually flat, they need to be assessed against the backdrop of a low-to-no volume grocery market."
M&S will report its full annual results on 20 May.
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global savory snacks market during November 2014. Using th...
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global bakery & cereals market during November 2014. Using...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis: The impact on shopper behaviour
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020