UK: M&S launches self-service tills at supermarkets
UK high street retailer Marks and Spencer (M&S) is to test new self-service tills at its supermarkets in London's Oxford Street and Uxbridge.
If the initiative successfully reduces queuing time for shoppers waiting to pay, the checkouts will be rolled out throughout M&S' 312-store chain.
The tills, known as "Scot" (Self Checkout Tills), work through a touch-sensitive computer screen. Shoppers pass products over a barcode scanner before bagging their buys and paying the total cost to a member of staff who individually covers four tills.
Fraud is combated with the help of CCTV cameras and a weighing device that checks that the bagged products correspond with the weight of the goods scanned by the customer. Spot checks are also made by staff members.
"It's a really fun way of shopping," a spokesman told the Evening Standard: "We believe this gives customers extra choice and we are very keen to find out if they agree."
Companies: Marks and Spencer
Milk sales are up - and although some people have put it down to increased consumption of porridge, tea and coffee, the milk industry is keen to capitalise on its newfound popularity. One way it is do...
We produce far too much non-biodegradable packaging waste, say the environmentalists. We're short of landfill sites and it's damaging the environment. Yet, one potential solution, biodegradable or com...
These days, to be successful, supermarkets must provide value and quality, low prices and convenience, as well as reliability, consistency and responsibility. Aiming for such high standards means a ch...
UK food and clothing retailer Marks and Spencer can claim back GBP30m (US$53m) in tax from the British government following a European Court of Justice ruling today (Tuesday)....
UK food and clothing retailer Marks and Spencer has said it expects group profit before tax and exceptionals for the 26 weeks to 1 October to be at or around the upper end of market expectations....
UK food and clothing retailer Marks and Spencer has hired a New York business guru to motivate its entire staff of 56,000 in a bid to boost the company's sales....
Food and clothing retailer Marks and Spencer has announced Marks and Spencer Group plc has today (Monday) announced the resignation of Charles Wilson, executive director for IT, logistics and property...
Food and clothing retailer Marks and Spencer has announced a 3.1% fall in its UK retail sales in its first quarter, the 14 weeks to 9 July 2005, but food sales were up by 5.0%....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review