UK: M&S pulls plug on 2 Sisters Avana contract, 650 jobs at risk
2 Sisters has lost out on renewal of the M&S contract
After a 77-year relationship with the bakery, M&S pulling the plug on the business means the site risks closure, a spokesperson told just-food in a statement today (10 Februrary).
While the spokesperson could not disclose the value of the contract, he confirmed the contract represented 85% of Avana's production.
"Clearly this is a huge setback to our cakes business and our operations in Wales, but we are determined to work hard to reverse the situation. As a matter of urgency, we are now making every effort to rebuild the business by seeking alternative customers and opportunities which will minimise the impact of this contract loss.
"Jobs are at risk," he told just-food. "However, this is just the start of a consultation - we're going to try to do everything we can to salvage the situation. We remain hopeful we can retain our business in Newport."
Marks and Spencer Group plc - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and serv...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Chilled & Deli Food in Europe industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contain...
Chilled & Deli Food in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile ...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits