INDIA/UK: M&S, Reliance locked in talks over JV
UK retailer Marks & Spencer and Reliance Retail remain locked in talks over a potential joint venture in India, just-food understands.
The two companies are discussing plans to join forces to sell clothing and food in India but have yet to come to a decision on the form of any partnership.
M&S has sold clothes in India since 2001 through a franchise accord with India's Planet Retail. The company's 13 franchise stores mostly sell clothing, although an outlet in Delhi does sell a selected range of ambient food.
India's organised retail sector is worth over US$400m and is expected to double by 2015 but the expansion of the market and the possibility of investment from multinational retailers has been fiercely opposed by small retailers and caused political apprehensions.
When contacted by just-food, a spokesman for Reliance declined to comment on whether the Indian retailer was in talks with M&S.
Sir Stuart Rose is seen as the man who saved Marks & Spencer, one of the flagship names in UK retail. His achievements even helped him become a knight of the realm in the New Year. However, this year,...
As the Brazilian economy develops, consumers are becoming increasingly sophisticated in how and what they buy. According to a new report from just-food, the growth forecast for the Brazilian packaged ...
Seven & i Holdings plans to open a chain of discount stores called The Price, with the first store opening scheduled in Tokyo next week....
Concern over food safety, one of the top priorities for food manufacturers, again grabbed the headlines this week - with the spotlight on Canada's Maple Leaf Foods....
Wimm-Bill-Dann Foods has struck a deal with Martek Biosciences that will see the Russian food group's infant formula fortified with Martek's life'sDHA & life'sARA fatty acids....
Dutch retail giant Ahold has begun the revamp of its Stop & Shop and Giant-Landover stores in the US....
More affluent or "upscale" US consumers aare driving higher shopper numbers at club stores like Costco and Sam's Club, a study has shown....
US nut maker Diamond Foods has appointed Lloyd Johnson to the new position of executive vice president of sales and chief sales officer....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016