SWITZERLAND: Muesli manufacturers welcome good health recommendation
As the original breakfast cereal celebrated its 100th birthday, experts from Switzerland's health authority staged a muesli festival to extol its traditional virtues.Swiss doctor Maximilian Bircher-Benner presented the rolled oats and fruit mixture to a health committee in 1900. While this moment is often heralded as the start of healthy eating, muesli only really triumphed on the consumer market when sugar and other unhealthy ingredients were added. The German Consumer Information Service issued a public health warning against these breakfast cereals, which stated: "These products are not muesli, but rather desserts."This week, the message is that more traditional muesli is the way forward. Prof. Groneuer, from Munster College, Germany, explained that "it is full of vitamins and the main nutrients are present in fairly good proportion." He also said it does not make us fat, and could help prevent cancer and heart disease. With these benefits, health experts are hoping that the scenic alpine boxes will be on our breakfast table for a long time still to come.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Future trends in natural food to go mainstream
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- France eyes leading role in proteins
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Bakery (UK) - Industry Report
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements