CHILE: Multiexport aims for 5% of world salmon market
Chilean salmon company Multiexport plans a major expansion during the next 10 years aimed at capturing 5% of worldwide salmon production with sales of US$400m, holding company president Jose Ramon Gutierrez has announced.The company, which is already Chile's top salmon exporter, will have sales of US$110 million this year and produces 2% of the world's salmon. To achieve the new objective it will have to increase production from the 21,000 tons expected this year to 135,000 tons in 2010.Multiexport's expansion plans involve building production facilities in Canada and Norway with third parties and opening sales offices in Japan, Europe and the US, the three main markets for salmon.The company, owned by private investors Alberto del Pedregal, Martin Borda, Hugo Pino, Caros Pucci and Jose Ramon Gutierrez, also plans to enter the stock exchange. "We don't know if it will be in Chile, because the panorama there is negative," Gutierrez said. "We could go to the stock market in Oslo or Amsterdam, which offer the best prospects for salmon producers."By opening new production facilities, Multiexport plans to increase its production 65% this year, from the 13,000 tons produced in 1999 to some 21,000 tons. It will invest US$5m this year.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- Food market in 2017: big foodservice trends
- Could BRF's Turkey move pave way for OneFoods IPO?
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- PepsiCo launches Walkers Mediterranean in UK
- Mondelez plans "selective" UK price hikes
- US targets increased organic production