NORWAY: Narvesen and Rema 1000 of Norway to join forces
Norwegian foodservice group Narvesen and retailer Rema 1000 have announced that their boards of directors have agreed to propose to shareholders a full merger of the two groups to form Reitan Narvesen ASA , a foodservice and wholesale group with a combined turnover of NKr20bn.Both companies are controlled by large shareholders and, according to information provided at a press conference in Oslo, owners controlling 66.4% of the two groups have already agreed to the proposed merger. A two-thirds majority is required for the plans to go through, which means that the merger is practically already approved.The new group will operate in seven countries, employing 17,000 people in 2,160 brand-name outlets. The core business will be to operate food chains and foodservice chains and related wholesale businesses, helped by the substantial purchasing powers the group will gain. Odd Reitan, owner of Rema 1000, explained: "This is a strategic move that will give us further leverage with the great number of our brand products. Within trade and foodservice we will continue to strenghten our positions both in Norway and abroad.""It´s two companies which together will have exciting opportunities. We complement each other in the market and have different relations to the customers," said Harald Tyrdal, managing director of Narvesen. In Norway, Narvesen also operates foodservice operations in chains such as
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review