AUSTRALIA: National Foods warns that de-regulated dairy industry will struggle
In an annual report released recently, dairy group National Foods has warned that, "the current retail milk pricing is unsustainable in the longer term given the dairy industry's costs." Aggressive discounting by supermarket retailers has placed huge pressure on the company, and forced a series of cost savings. "We have initiated a program to further reduce the company's operating overhead costs, as well as our milk input costs by working closely with our suppliers," the report continued.The dairy industry in Australia has recently been de-regulated and according to National Foods this means that, "one thing is clear… industry consolidation will occur sooner rather than later." It also means that for the coming year, the company will focus primarily on attempts to consolidate its manufacturing operations. National Foods has, however, also expressed its intention to bid for market leadership through product innovation.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Future trends in natural food to go mainstream
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- France eyes leading role in proteins
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bakery (UK) - Industry Report
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements