GLOBAL: Nestle chairman attacks food crop use for biofuels - report
- Brabeck-Letmathe says food for people, not cars
- Rabobank analysts say agri-commodity volatility to rise in 2013
Nestle's chairman, Peter Brabeck-Letmathe, has backed those who criticise the use of food crops for biofuels.
Speaking at the Global Forum for Food and Agriculture in Berlin, Brabeck-Letmathe said that food should be for people, not for cars. He said it was "nonsense" to use food crops for biofuels at a time of rising world food prices, according to a report by Bloomberg at the weekend.
However, Brabeck-Letmathe rejected claims from some quarters that investor speculation causes prices to rise.
Last week, the United Nations' Food & Agriculture Organisation said that average food commodity prices dropped by 7% in 2012 versus 2011.
Many industry experts, though, believe that price volatility - rather than price rises - is a bigger risk.
In a report released today (21 January), Rabobank analysts warned that agricultural markets globally are "undervaluing" risk to supplies of key commodities.
"Record-low stock levels leave agricultural markets, particularly grains and oilseeds, vulnerable to increasing volatility in the year ahead," said Rabobank.
"Longer-term volatility in agricultural markets is also on the rise as the world's incremental demand growth is being met by less reliable production regions," analysts added.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Success in emerging markets is dependent on the ability to think locally. However, while domestic players do have the home field advantage, multinational corporations benefit from stringent internal s...
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details