GLOBAL: Nestle chairman attacks food crop use for biofuels - report
- Brabeck-Letmathe says food for people, not cars
- Rabobank analysts say agri-commodity volatility to rise in 2013
Nestle's chairman, Peter Brabeck-Letmathe, has backed those who criticise the use of food crops for biofuels.
Speaking at the Global Forum for Food and Agriculture in Berlin, Brabeck-Letmathe said that food should be for people, not for cars. He said it was "nonsense" to use food crops for biofuels at a time of rising world food prices, according to a report by Bloomberg at the weekend.
However, Brabeck-Letmathe rejected claims from some quarters that investor speculation causes prices to rise.
Last week, the United Nations' Food & Agriculture Organisation said that average food commodity prices dropped by 7% in 2012 versus 2011.
Many industry experts, though, believe that price volatility - rather than price rises - is a bigger risk.
In a report released today (21 January), Rabobank analysts warned that agricultural markets globally are "undervaluing" risk to supplies of key commodities.
"Record-low stock levels leave agricultural markets, particularly grains and oilseeds, vulnerable to increasing volatility in the year ahead," said Rabobank.
"Longer-term volatility in agricultural markets is also on the rise as the world's incremental demand growth is being met by less reliable production regions," analysts added.
Success in emerging markets is dependent on the ability to think locally. However, while domestic players do have the home field advantage, multinational corporations benefit from stringent internal s...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- Mengniu sales dip but work on costs boosts profits
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis