UK: Nestle, General Mills cereal ad banned on misleading claims
Cereal Partners UK has had its wrist slapped over a "no added sugar" claim in its ad
The ad featured Honey Nut Shredded Wheat and Shredded Wheat Original and Bitesize products and a voice over indicated there was "no added salt or sugar". According to the ASA, a consumer who understood that Honey Nut Shredded Wheat contained added sugar, challenged whether the ad breached the Code.
Cereal Partners UK argued that the ad was in fact two ads and "considered that the average consumer would recognise that there were two distinct and separate sections for different products" and "that it would be clear to consumers that the "no added sugar" claim would only apply to the first product, Shredded Wheat Original and Bitesize, rather than to the second".
The ASA however upheld its decision to ban the ad, adding that consumers were "likely" to interpret the ad as a whole rather than two separate sections.
"We considered that viewers would therefore understand the "no added ... sugar" claim to apply to all products with only the addition of natural honey, rather than supplementary sugar, in the Honey Nut variety. Because we understood that this was not the case and that Honey Nut Shredded Wheat did contain additional sugar, we concluded that the ad breached the Code".
A spokesperson for Cereal Partners told just-food today (6 August): "We are disappointed by the ruling of the ASA Council, which overturns the initial recommendation following a thorough investigation. The decision, based on a single consumer complaint, does not reflect the ‘consumer confusion' that is referred to in the adjudication. We will full comply with the ASA ruling and not show the ad again in its current form."
Synopsis Canadean's "Nestle Pakistan Limited : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The prof...
Nestle S.A. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings an...
Synopsis Canadean's "Nestle India Limited : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile...
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- How the Applegate acquisition will benefit Hormel
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Heinz, Boulder face off in Smart Balance TM spat
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Wal-Mart acts on animal welfare, antibiotics
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)