ZIMBABWE: Nestle hits out at "cheaper state imports"
Nestle has said it is not quitting Zimbabwe
Nestle has told just-food it is not pulling out of Zimbabwe, despite raising concerns it is facing unfair competition from cheap imports.
The Swiss food giant has, however, raised the alarm with the Zimbabwe government, saying state organisations were importing cereals, solid milk and coffee without paying import duty. These products were now being sold on the Zimbabwean market at cheaper prices.
Nestle's Zimbabwe arm has expressed concern about imports of rival products - and those from the company's own subsidiaries outside the country.
Nestle Zimbabwe chairman, Kumbirai Katsande, told just-food it was "difficult to estimate a figure" on how much the company had lost to the alleged smuggling syndicates.
After lodging a complaint with the country's finance minister Patrick Chinamasa and industry minister, Mike Bimha, Nestle is hopeful the government will enforce measures aimed at ring-fencing locally produced goods.
"We expect the authorities to act. We never contemplated scaling down or shutting down," Katsand said.
The Zimbabwe government is now set to introduce higher tariffs on imported finished goods, according to Chinamasa. Manufacturing companies also have the option of importing raw materials at a lower import duty to promote local productivity.
Synopsis Canadean's "Nestle Pakistan Limited : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The prof...
Nestle S.A. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings an...
Synopsis Canadean's "Nestle India Limited : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report