AFRICA: Nestle invests in southern African production upgrade
Nestle region chief confident on outlook for southern Africa
Nestle will spend US$10m expanding its operations in southern Africa - a region that includes Zimbabwe, Zambia and Malawi - this year.
Between 2011 and 2013, the Swiss company invested $20m in the region, where it manufactures and distributes powdered milk and breakfast cereals.
Nestle enjoys a dominant position in these sectors, Nestle Zimbabwe executive director Farai Munetsi told just-food.
Cerevita breakfast cereals are popular in Zimbabwe, Munetsi said. Solid milk products under the Cremora and Nido brands, as well as the Ricoffy roasted coffee brand, are are also witnessing strong demand in the subregion.
This year's capital expenditure will be spent on upgrading its factory equipment, Munetsi revealed.
"The major capital expenditure for 2014 will be the upgrading of the milk powder drying plant to operational efficiencies. The project is estimated to cost close to $10m," said Munetsi.
Independent Zimbabwe-based economist Moses Moyo warned "tough economic conditions... could exert pressure on spending power and prospects for further growth" in volumes.
However, Munetsi brushed off such concerns. Nestle's investments mean the company is strategically positioned to rise above current challenges, Munetsi said.
"The company is confident of meeting its revenue targets despite the tough macro-economic environment. This is mostly due to the increase in capacity and operating efficiencies after the investments," Munetsi said.
Nestle said key raw materials which include milk, maize, flour, wheat and sugar were locally produced. It supplements these with imports from its neighbouring countries such as Zambia and South Africa.
Synopsis Canadean's "Nestle Pakistan Limited : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The prof...
Synopsis Canadean's "Nestle India Limited : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile...
Synopsis Canadean's "Nestle SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Emerging markets online: India's food retail scene
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Monde Nissin "to acquire Menora"
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019