EU: New European Food Authority meets with approval
Formal proposals by the European Commission yesterday (Wednesday) to set up a European Food Authority (EFA) were warmly welcomed by the food industry.The Confederation of the Food and Drink Industries of the European Union (CIAA) said "the intentions of the Commission generally respond to the expectations of European food industrialists."Brussels said the EFA was the centrepiece of its strategy for a "proactive food policy covering the entire food chain, from the farm to the fork" with the primary objective of assuring "a high level of protection of human life whilst ensuring the effective functioning of the internal market."The Commission said the EFA was eventually expected to have a staff of 330 and a budget of some £24m. The CIAA said it "particularly welcomed" the Commission's emphasis on safety which, it said, "must contribute to restoring consumer confidence in food."The EFA was "essential" and should lead to the better and faster formulation of scientific opinions. "Its role in analysing and managing crises is likewise welcome," said the CIAA, which added that the creation of a unit specifically responsible for managing crises, "shows significant progress in the Commission's approach." The Confederation is to issue detailed comments on all aspects of the proposal over the next weeks.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report