AUSTRALIA: New intelligent food packaging will warn consumers of product freshness
Michael Rooney, from Food Science Australia, told delegates at a CSIRO food forum yesterday (11 October) that the next innovation within packaging would be a warning signal that will alert the consumer as to whether the food is out of date. CSIRO is currently forging links with retailers, food producers and packagers, with the aim of developing intelligent packaging for food bought over the Internet, and the comments by Rooney, a specialist on packaging materials, were well received.According to scientists at the institute, the challenge they are facing is ensuring the quality of food products bought online, to guarantee the safety standards of their unseen purchase which bypasses the traditional food cooling supply chain. Rooney believes the new warning technology, chemical or electronic, could be the answer. He explained: "Electronic chips can offer an audible warning while sensitive strips would change colour if perishable foods became contaminated."The technology would also be useful for food exporters who wish to guarantee the freshness of their product, and scientists now believe that launch of the food microchip is only a few years away.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Future trends in natural food to go mainstream
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- France eyes leading role in proteins
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bakery (UK) - Industry Report
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements