AUSTRALIA: New intelligent food packaging will warn consumers of product freshness
Michael Rooney, from Food Science Australia, told delegates at a CSIRO food forum yesterday (11 October) that the next innovation within packaging would be a warning signal that will alert the consumer as to whether the food is out of date. CSIRO is currently forging links with retailers, food producers and packagers, with the aim of developing intelligent packaging for food bought over the Internet, and the comments by Rooney, a specialist on packaging materials, were well received.According to scientists at the institute, the challenge they are facing is ensuring the quality of food products bought online, to guarantee the safety standards of their unseen purchase which bypasses the traditional food cooling supply chain. Rooney believes the new warning technology, chemical or electronic, could be the answer. He explained: "Electronic chips can offer an audible warning while sensitive strips would change colour if perishable foods became contaminated."The technology would also be useful for food exporters who wish to guarantee the freshness of their product, and scientists now believe that launch of the food microchip is only a few years away.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Freedom Foods Group nears M&A in Oz, North America
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020