UK: NFU supports "pre-emptive strike" against disease
The NFU has supported further emergency action announced today to track and cull certain sheep which it is believed may be helping to spread the disease.
The Government has said it will track and slaughter animals moved through markets in Northampton and Welshpool from February that may have come into dangerous contact with other animals carrying the disease.
The "pre-emptive strike" has been described by NFU President Ben Gill as welcome in that it will help the country get ahead of the spread of the disease.
The NFU has called on farmers who may have had any dealings with these animals to contact their MAFF regional offices immediately.
Ben Gill said: "There is real concern that these particular animals are undermining the efforts of the rest of the country in controlling the disease.
"While those farmers involved will be devastated by this further loss of livestock, the whole country knows that desperate measures are needed if we are to prevent even greater losses."
The NFU will tell Ministers during on-going talks of farmers growing concerns for the welfare of animals trapped on farms and the vital importance of ensuring diseased animals are slaughtered and disposed of quickly.
Although every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in this document, the NFU cannot accept liability for errors and omissions. This information should not be regarded as constituting legal advice, and should therefore not be relied upon as such. NFU©
just-food.com published a feature on foot and mouth. To read it, click here.
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Hochdorf expands in Africa with Pharmalys buy
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review