CANADA: Nine-day strike at Nestle chocolate factory ends
Staff at Nestle Canada had calleda nine-day strike after talks broke down on a revised pension plan
Industrial action at a Nestle chocolate manufacturing plant in Canada that saw 360 workers walk out has ended after nine days.
According to representatives from the union Unifor, talks over productivity at the Sterling Road factory in Toronto, had broken down over Nestle's move to change the employee pension plan at the site. A strike was called on 3 May.
However, speaking to just-food yesterday (13 May), a spokesperson for Nestle Canada said the company and employees had since reached an agreement and the action had come to an end.
"The ratification vote was held on May 12 and our employees have accepted the terms of the agreement and have returned to work. We are pleased that we were able to achieve resolution."
The firm offered no further information on the terms of the agreement.
A strike was called on 3 May after Nestle announced it wanted to scrap the existing pension plan for all employees. The proposed new plan only included new and future workers and, in exchange for a protected pension, employees were asked to accept a three-year wage freeze.
"We're talking about the biggest food and beverage manufacturer in the world, and they're saying they can't afford a secure retirement for their dedicated employees?" Paul Shiels, president of Unifor Local 252, said last week (6 May).
Unifor did not respond to requests for comment on the agreement when approached by just-food.
Synopsis Canadean's "Nestle Pakistan Limited : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The prof...
Nestle S.A. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings an...
Synopsis Canadean's "Nestle India Limited : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile...
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- How the Applegate acquisition will benefit Hormel
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Heinz, Boulder face off in Smart Balance TM spat
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Wal-Mart acts on animal welfare, antibiotics
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)