CANADA: Nine-day strike at Nestle chocolate factory ends
Staff at Nestle Canada had calleda nine-day strike after talks broke down on a revised pension plan
Industrial action at a Nestle chocolate manufacturing plant in Canada that saw 360 workers walk out has ended after nine days.
According to representatives from the union Unifor, talks over productivity at the Sterling Road factory in Toronto, had broken down over Nestle's move to change the employee pension plan at the site. A strike was called on 3 May.
However, speaking to just-food yesterday (13 May), a spokesperson for Nestle Canada said the company and employees had since reached an agreement and the action had come to an end.
"The ratification vote was held on May 12 and our employees have accepted the terms of the agreement and have returned to work. We are pleased that we were able to achieve resolution."
The firm offered no further information on the terms of the agreement.
A strike was called on 3 May after Nestle announced it wanted to scrap the existing pension plan for all employees. The proposed new plan only included new and future workers and, in exchange for a protected pension, employees were asked to accept a three-year wage freeze.
"We're talking about the biggest food and beverage manufacturer in the world, and they're saying they can't afford a secure retirement for their dedicated employees?" Paul Shiels, president of Unifor Local 252, said last week (6 May).
Unifor did not respond to requests for comment on the agreement when approached by just-food.
Nestle is expanding its Aero chocolate brand in the UK with the launch of an Aero mousse chocolate bar. ...
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review