CANADA: Nine-day strike at Nestle chocolate factory ends
Staff at Nestle Canada had calleda nine-day strike after talks broke down on a revised pension plan
Industrial action at a Nestle chocolate manufacturing plant in Canada that saw 360 workers walk out has ended after nine days.
According to representatives from the union Unifor, talks over productivity at the Sterling Road factory in Toronto, had broken down over Nestle's move to change the employee pension plan at the site. A strike was called on 3 May.
However, speaking to just-food yesterday (13 May), a spokesperson for Nestle Canada said the company and employees had since reached an agreement and the action had come to an end.
"The ratification vote was held on May 12 and our employees have accepted the terms of the agreement and have returned to work. We are pleased that we were able to achieve resolution."
The firm offered no further information on the terms of the agreement.
A strike was called on 3 May after Nestle announced it wanted to scrap the existing pension plan for all employees. The proposed new plan only included new and future workers and, in exchange for a protected pension, employees were asked to accept a three-year wage freeze.
"We're talking about the biggest food and beverage manufacturer in the world, and they're saying they can't afford a secure retirement for their dedicated employees?" Paul Shiels, president of Unifor Local 252, said last week (6 May).
Unifor did not respond to requests for comment on the agreement when approached by just-food.
Nestle is expanding its Aero chocolate brand in the UK with the launch of an Aero mousse chocolate bar. ...
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- General Mills to invest in "growth businesses"
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- UPDATE: Hershey rejects Mondelez takeover
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- ForeSights: Edible Cutlery; Cutlery made out of food-grade materials instead of plastic
- Fast Food in India