USA: No question regarding safety of food irradiation
Clarifying a statement issued yesterday regarding a partnership between Ion-Beam Applications and the Agricultural Research Service, Pat Adams, President of IBA's Food Safety Division made the following comments:"There is no question regarding the safety of food irradiation. It is the most tested technology in the history of the food industry. Over 40 years of research studies have revealed no harmful effects on human health. Food irradiation is approved by the Food and Drug Administration and the USDA's Food Safety Inspection Service and used in almost 40 countries across the world. It is endorsed by the World Health Organization, the American Medical Association, the American Dietetic Association, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, among others."IBA has entered into a partnership with ARS to compare the attributes -- not the safety -- of the different technologies now available. There is no need to test the safety of irradiation. That has already been done."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Freedom Foods Group nears M&A in Oz, North America
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020