USA: No question regarding safety of food irradiation
Clarifying a statement issued yesterday regarding a partnership between Ion-Beam Applications and the Agricultural Research Service, Pat Adams, President of IBA's Food Safety Division made the following comments:"There is no question regarding the safety of food irradiation. It is the most tested technology in the history of the food industry. Over 40 years of research studies have revealed no harmful effects on human health. Food irradiation is approved by the Food and Drug Administration and the USDA's Food Safety Inspection Service and used in almost 40 countries across the world. It is endorsed by the World Health Organization, the American Medical Association, the American Dietetic Association, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, among others."IBA has entered into a partnership with ARS to compare the attributes -- not the safety -- of the different technologies now available. There is no need to test the safety of irradiation. That has already been done."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review