PORTUGAL: No Wal-Mart bid for Jeronimo Martins after all
Jeronimo Martins , the second largest retail chain in Portugal, stressed earlier today (3 November) that an article printed in Semanario Economico, a weekly national newspaper, is entirely false. The paper had excited interest by reporting that US group Wal-Mart , had offered a takeover bid of €575m for the Portuguese chain.A statement from Jeronimo Martins revealed that: "The board hereby informs the market that it has no knowledge of any move or fact that lends foundation to the report."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Comment: Premier has more to ponder than Brexit
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- The food market in 2017 - consumer trends and M&A
- Trump seen as negative for global food trade
- Analysis: B&G Foods balancing growth and decline
- Nestle mum on Mead Johnson takeover talk
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- Unilever rebrands I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
- Mondelez sells Vegemite to Bega
- Kellogg to slash 250 jobs