PORTUGAL: No Wal-Mart bid for Jeronimo Martins after all
Jeronimo Martins , the second largest retail chain in Portugal, stressed earlier today (3 November) that an article printed in Semanario Economico, a weekly national newspaper, is entirely false. The paper had excited interest by reporting that US group Wal-Mart , had offered a takeover bid of €575m for the Portuguese chain.A statement from Jeronimo Martins revealed that: "The board hereby informs the market that it has no knowledge of any move or fact that lends foundation to the report."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Mondelez set for union crosshairs next week
- Mondelez plays down impact of union action
- Recipe-kit firm HelloFresh launches into UK retail
- Germany's Haribo plans first US candy plant