CHINA: Noodle giant Meichu files for liquidation
Further proof that the heyday of the instant noodle may be coming to an end in China comes in the revelation that Meiju Corp. has filed an application for liquidation, which has been accepted by Beijing's number one intermediate court. Meichu was once the fourth largest noodle producer in mainland China, but was hard hit as the noodle market declined. Official date quoted in the Beijing Evening News shows the sales volume of instant noodles had climbed from 1.3bn servings in 1992 to 19bn in 2000, but have since begun to drop off sharply.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Brazil seeks to cool concerns over meat probe
- Lactalis fails to hit threshold to delist Parmalat
- US meal delivery service Blue Apron buys BN Ranch
- Fonterra cuts earnings forecast