CHINA: Noodle giant Meichu files for liquidation
Further proof that the heyday of the instant noodle may be coming to an end in China comes in the revelation that Meiju Corp. has filed an application for liquidation, which has been accepted by Beijing's number one intermediate court. Meichu was once the fourth largest noodle producer in mainland China, but was hard hit as the noodle market declined. Official date quoted in the Beijing Evening News shows the sales volume of instant noodles had climbed from 1.3bn servings in 1992 to 19bn in 2000, but have since begun to drop off sharply.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Wessanen eyes growth in "resurgent" organic market
- Unilever launches operational review
- Kraft Heinz pulls Unilever bid
- General Mills issues profit warning
- Kerry operating earnings strengthen on slow sales
- Glanbia focuses on nutrition with Irish dairy spin