POLAND: Nordzucker expands in Polish sugar sector
German sugar giant Nordzucker has increased its hold on the Polish sugar sector by acquiring a 51% stake in the Szamotuly Sugar Plant and a further 20.5% of Opalenica Sugar Plant from the Poznansko-Pomorska Sugar Company. Nordzucker now owns 71.5% of the Opalenica Sugar Plant.Some foreign companies have become frustrated with the slow pace of privatisation in the sector - for instance, Danish group Danisco recently signalled its intention to withdraw from the Polish sector and concentrate on other markets.Nordzucker however has remained determined to capture at least 15% of the Polish sugar market, and the latest acquisitions bring it closer to its goal. While the budget earmarked for expansion in Poland is not known, Nordzucker is expected to acquire at least three more sugar companies in Gdansk, Szczecin and Torun.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti
- Amnesty - Global brands profit from labour abuses