POLAND: Nordzucker expands in Polish sugar sector
German sugar giant Nordzucker has increased its hold on the Polish sugar sector by acquiring a 51% stake in the Szamotuly Sugar Plant and a further 20.5% of Opalenica Sugar Plant from the Poznansko-Pomorska Sugar Company. Nordzucker now owns 71.5% of the Opalenica Sugar Plant.Some foreign companies have become frustrated with the slow pace of privatisation in the sector - for instance, Danish group Danisco recently signalled its intention to withdraw from the Polish sector and concentrate on other markets.Nordzucker however has remained determined to capture at least 15% of the Polish sugar market, and the latest acquisitions bring it closer to its goal. While the budget earmarked for expansion in Poland is not known, Nordzucker is expected to acquire at least three more sugar companies in Gdansk, Szczecin and Torun.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Wessanen eyes growth in "resurgent" organic market
- Unilever launches operational review
- Kraft Heinz pulls Unilever bid
- Kerry operating earnings strengthen on slow sales
- General Mills issues profit warning
- Glanbia focuses on nutrition with Irish dairy spin