US: Safeway Inc: not all doom and gloom - COMMENT
Safeway Inc has announced major expansion plans for 2001. The US supermarket chain will open up to 95 new stores. It's certainly a welcome departure from the gloom shrouding the retail industry. Safeway has wisely concentrated on areas with high population growth. It may even benefit from the economic slowdown as well: when people have less money, they tend eat to out less and buy more from supermarkets.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Column: Kraft Heinz, Unilever and sustainability
- Unilever 'lining up spreads sale'
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- BRF plant suspended amid bribery allegations