USA: Nutrient-dense food products improve cardiovascular health in frail elderly
Frail elderly people are particularly at risk for nutritional deficiencies that can contribute to cardiovascular disease, functional decline and neurological disorders. Moderately increased homocysteine (Hcy) and methlylmalonic acid (MMA) are markers of folate, vitamin B6 or B12 deficiency. In a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, de Jong et al. conducted a series of controlled interventions to determine if supplementation with nutrient-dense foods, an exercise program, or a combination of the two would benefit elderly subjects' nutritional status and neurological functioning. Food enrichment seemed to offer the most tangible health benefits by lowering serum concentrations of Hcy and MMA. Yet supplementation with nutrient-dense foods produced no improvement in the subjects' test scores on neuropsychological functioning, and the exercise program had no effect on indexes of nutritional health, whether it was combined with supplementation or not.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review