UK: Ocado "planning warehouse openings" to boost capacity
Ocado has not revealed any more info on talks that it has decided where its third distribution centre will be
Ocado has refused to comment on reports it has drawn up a short list of potential sites to house a third and fourth giant warehouse which, it is hoped, would boost its grocery delivery capacity by 50%.
According to a report published by This is Money, the company is considering sites near Leeds and Manchester to establish one facility and is also looking to the South East to open another warehouse.
A spokesperson for the online retailer told just-food that in the past Ocado has highlighted plans for further distribution centres however "there is no guidance as to where or when that will be".
Ocado currently operates distribution centres in Dordon and Hatfield. Last year the company partnered Morrison's for an online offering. At the end of last week, the group posted a market-beating increase of 20.1% in sales for the Christmas period.
Ocado CEO Tim Steiner suggested the group's growth reflected "improvements to our proposition" as well as a growing appetite among UK consumers to shop online.
2013 was a highly significant year for Morrisons. The company finally decided to develop an online grocery retailing service in partnership with Ocado. In addition, the company has capitalised on the ...
If you studied a map chronicling the evolution of online grocery, you’d see the first fledgling beginnings of the sector with some pioneers on the frontier adopting a pick in store model with catchmen...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis