UK: Ocado "planning warehouse openings" to boost capacity
Ocado has not revealed any more info on talks that it has decided where its third distribution centre will be
Ocado has refused to comment on reports it has drawn up a short list of potential sites to house a third and fourth giant warehouse which, it is hoped, would boost its grocery delivery capacity by 50%.
According to a report published by This is Money, the company is considering sites near Leeds and Manchester to establish one facility and is also looking to the South East to open another warehouse.
A spokesperson for the online retailer told just-food that in the past Ocado has highlighted plans for further distribution centres however "there is no guidance as to where or when that will be".
Ocado currently operates distribution centres in Dordon and Hatfield. Last year the company partnered Morrison's for an online offering. At the end of last week, the group posted a market-beating increase of 20.1% in sales for the Christmas period.
Ocado CEO Tim Steiner suggested the group's growth reflected "improvements to our proposition" as well as a growing appetite among UK consumers to shop online.
The UK online grocery sector is highly innovative and disruptive - and it provides a template to the rest of the world....
2013 was a highly significant year for Morrisons. The company finally decided to develop an online grocery retailing service in partnership with Ocado. In addition, the company has capitalised on the ...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report