UK: Ocado sales growth fails to convince analysts
Ocado has posted sales growth of 18% for the first quarter of 2014
UK online specialist Ocado today (12 March) reported a jump in first-quarter sales but the result failed to convince the City and its shares tumbled.
Ocado reported a 22.6% rise in gross sales to GBP227.5m for the period ended 23 February.
Average orders per week also grew 18.4% to 155,152, although the average order size fell slightly by 0.4%.
CEO Tim Steiner said he was "pleased with the continued growth of the business".
He added: "While we are encouraged by our current trading, the retail environment remains both challenging and competitive, and we expect to continue growing in line with, or slightly ahead of, the market."
However, Shore Capital analysts Clive Black was uncertain about the outlook for Ocado. Hitting out at its business model, Black pointed to the "total failure to generate profits" and suggested partners Waitrose and Morrisons could end their agreements with Ocado in the future.
"We remain convinced that this model will not work and that in time there is a greater likelihood than not that both Waitrose and Morrisons will walk away from Ocado in our view," Black said.
He added Ocado could see margins come under pressure as Tesco sharpens its prices. Ocado matches the prices Tesco charges for brands, excluding promotions.
Shares in Ocado were down 5.33% at 541.5p at 12:40 GMT.
During the review period, Waitrose Ltd experimented with various new trends in grocery retailing including internet retailing and convenience-oriented proximity retailing. Both of these strategies hav...
Having shed significant share over the last two years of the review period, Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is looking to become more competitive once again. It is facing stiff competition from discounte...
Three concepts are currently shaping trends in grocery retailing in the UK: convenience stores; discounters; and online sales....
The UK retailing industry registered positive growth in 2013 despite the fact that the economic climate in the country remained challenging as consumer spending habits remained under the influence of ...
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- BRF to buy certain Molinos Rio de la Plata brands
- Aldi reformulates US private-label lines
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis