UK: Ocado sees "opportunity" in Tesco online push
Tesco to focus on online growth
Unveiling its first-half results yesterday (4 October), Tesco CEO Philip Clarke revealed that the group plans to increase its online expansion. He told reporters at a conference in London that Tesco wants to be at the forefront of the online revolution, not "a victim of it".
The company has already increased its click and collect store numbers to 90 and revealed that its online food business is already turning a profit.
A spokesperson for Ocado told just-food that the company expected to continue to benefit from the increasing numbers of people shopping online and described Tesco's initiative as an "opportunity".
"This is actually an opportunity for us. There is a change underway in the shopping habits of customers. If more customers start shopping online, history has shown that this represents an opportunity for Ocado."
Earlier this week, Ocado rolled out its Low Price Promise throughout the UK. The marketing campaign compares Ocado and Tesco prices on branded and own label goods.
Explaining why Ocado has targeted Tesco in its markting campaign, the spokesperson said: "Tesco are the biggest in the market so a good benchmark for us."
Tesco has once again ignited the price war with the launch of its Price Promise, garnering a mixed reaction from analysts who suggest it could just be an extension of other retail schemes or the retai...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- How PepsiCo is taking action on palm oil
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- MP calls for probe into Bernard Matthews "sale"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report