UK: Ocado sees "opportunity" in Tesco online push
Tesco to focus on online growth
Unveiling its first-half results yesterday (4 October), Tesco CEO Philip Clarke revealed that the group plans to increase its online expansion. He told reporters at a conference in London that Tesco wants to be at the forefront of the online revolution, not "a victim of it".
The company has already increased its click and collect store numbers to 90 and revealed that its online food business is already turning a profit.
A spokesperson for Ocado told just-food that the company expected to continue to benefit from the increasing numbers of people shopping online and described Tesco's initiative as an "opportunity".
"This is actually an opportunity for us. There is a change underway in the shopping habits of customers. If more customers start shopping online, history has shown that this represents an opportunity for Ocado."
Earlier this week, Ocado rolled out its Low Price Promise throughout the UK. The marketing campaign compares Ocado and Tesco prices on branded and own label goods.
Explaining why Ocado has targeted Tesco in its markting campaign, the spokesperson said: "Tesco are the biggest in the market so a good benchmark for us."
Tesco has once again ignited the price war with the launch of its Price Promise, garnering a mixed reaction from analysts who suggest it could just be an extension of other retail schemes or the retai...
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details