UK: OFT rejigs milk probe after Morrisons fiasco
The UK's Office of Fair Trading has reshuffled its investigation into price-fixing in the dairy market after its humiliating apology to Morrisons.
Earlier this week (24 April), the OFT was forced to settle out of court after admitting it made false accusations against Morrisons in last year's dairy price-fixing investigation.
The competition watchdog issued a full apology and paid Morrisons some GBP100,000 (US$199,000) to settle a defamation case brought by the supermarket chain.
"The milk cartel inquiry will now be reporting directly to our chief executive John Fingleton," a spokesperson for the competition watchdog told just-food.
Morrisons, among others, is still facing an investigation over the supply of liquid milk products in 2002.
Despite the GBP50bn (US$88bn) bank rescue package announced this morning (8 October) by the UK government, the crisis in the financial markets is still making its presence felt on the UK high street. ...
As the economic climate deteriorates in the UK, retailers are responding to the increasingly value-conscious concerns of consumers by cutting prices. In answer to a round of price cuts from Asda, Tesc...
Dorset Cereals, the UK cereal maker, has added three new products to its breakfast range....
The Co-operative Group's GBP1.6bn (US$2.74bn) takeover of Somerfield has received approval from the UK's competition....
Tesco, Sainsbury's and Waitrose are losing share of the UK grocery market, according to the latest figures from TNS Worldpanel, as consumer demand for value continues....
Dalepak Foods, the UK food group, has recalled three types of frozen spicy bean burger due to the presence of the toxin lectin in under processed kidney beans....
North Downs Dairy is to re-run an advert for Pilgrims Choice after the UK cheddar brand enjoyed growth of 60.8% in the year to 7 September....
An investigation conducted by the UK's Office of Fair Trading has reportedly uncovered evidence of price sharing between the country's largest supermarkets and consumer goods companies....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review