SINGAPORE: Olam under fire after bond issue
Olam shares slide on concerns over debt levels
Olam International has once again come under fire from advisory group Muddy Waters after the commodity company obtained a combined bond and warrant issue to the value of US$750m.
Muddy Waters has criticised Olam's accounting practices and warned investors the company could be "days from collapse". Muddy Waters said Olam's capital expenditure levels are out of control, with excessive borrowings used to fund a series of acquisitions in recent years. According to Muddy Waters, the company is struggling to generate the cash flows necessary to service its debt.
With Olam's share price under pressure, Singapore state investment agency Temasek stepped in to ensure that the company was able to obtain further funds. Temasek backstoped a combined bond and warrant issue designed to ease short-term concerns over the company's liquidity.
However, Muddy Waters remained unconvinced. "We are intrigued by the possibility that Olam could have been only days away from collapsing. We theorise that Olam's banks told Temasek they would turn off the taps unless Temasek provided additional financing to the company," Muddy Waters suggested in a note issued earlier this week (4 December). "If we are correct, this financing is anything but an expression of confidence."
For its part, Olam has launched legal action against Muddy Waters and chief executive Sunny Verghese has been outspoken in his criticism of the research firm.
In spite of the injection of funds, Olam's share price continued to slide today, dropping 4.29% today to S$1.45 (US$1.19) on concerns that the company could fail.
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Food marketing firmly on UK political agenda
- E-commerce: Online could offer growth in Russia
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Campbell aligns structure with growth objectives
- Mead Johnson offsets China slowdown
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report