USA: Olive fruit fly could decimate Californian olives
An olive fruit fly, considered by entomologists to be the world's most dangerous olive pest, "has the potential to wipe out entire orchards of olives throughout southern California, if left alone to feed and multiply," according to Food Center News. The pinhead-sized olive fruit fly was found two years ago in ornamental trees in back yards and highway medians throughout southern California and has since migrated into the San Joaquin Valley, the heart of the State's US$100m commercial olive industry. California agriculture officials believe the olive fruit fly has been steadily migrating north from Mexico for the last three or four years, "hidden in smuggled shipments of olives or simply flying across the border."The report said that olive growers in California are bitter that their industry, which represents just a fraction of the State's US$30bn-a-year agriculture sector, is not getting the needed Federal and State aid that grape growers have received, for their efforts to combat the glassy-winged sharpshooter.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review