UK: Olive Oil Report
The European Commission has been told to tighten up its administration of the European Union's olive oil production aid scheme, which has been attacked for leaching millions of Euro's from the EU's coffers.Brussels' financial watchdog, the Court of Auditors, has criticised the Euro 2 billion-a-year scheme, saying its audit revealed that "after thirty years of operation, and despite several changes to rules, an adequately efficient and reliable system for the management and control of the scheme has still not been achieved."It found that subsidies had neither been tied effectively to the market price of olives, nor the actual yield of the crop grown by the 2.2 million producers using the system. Subsidised surpluses have been the result, which are likely to be challenged at the WTO round on agricultural goods that was launched this year.To create market stability, the court has recommend that the Commission focuses spot checks on 11,000 sample olive oil mills to measure production levels. It has also recommended that it refuses to accept any further delays to the compilation of national surveys on olive oil production.Meanwhile, the court urged the Commission to press for the repayment of all moneys owed by producers to their national governments, because of irregular claims for EU olive oil consumption aid, under a system that was abolished in 1998.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Nestle invests in Italian pizza production
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020