AUSTRALIA: Olympic athletes run out of fastfood
The demand for fastfood during the Olympic games has exceeded all expectations, with caterers already running out of supplies. Companies are now working extended hours to rejuvenate the stock of pizzas, nuts, soups and omelettes. The John Lewis Food Service reported that more food has already been consumed than was expected to disappear throughout the entire Games.Games organisers are dealing with 500 more competitors than usual this year, following the SOCOG's promise to spend A$37m on covering the transport costs of nearly 200 teams world-wide. Bob Elphinston, sports general manager at SOCOG, revealed that more than 11000 athletes were now arriving in Sydney, putting pressure on room and bed space as well as food supplies. National Account manager for John Lewis Lisa Vorano also revealed that the organisation within the athlete's food halls were to blame for the huge volumes of food being eaten. "They can't limit the amount of food going on athlete's plates," said Vorano, adding: "there is no ticketing system and people are coming back for two or three helpings."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review