US: Online service Instacart enters Los Angeles
Instacart wants to be available in 11 US cities by end of 2014
US food delivery service Instacart has started doing business in Los Angeles, its seventh city since its launch in San Francisco in 2012.
Instacart, which claims to be the only service that can deliver groceries from multiple local stores within an hour, said local demand had prompted its move into the city.
"We expect that the traffic and long commutes in L.A. will drive demand similar to what cold weather does for the east coast. Instacart will allow L.A. residents to avoid making those detours to the grocery store while continuing to get the healthy foods they love," Apoorva Mehta, the founder of Instacart, said.
Instacart has a "crowdsourced" labour force - dubbed "personal shoppers" - who deliver a consumer's shopping in their own vehicles. In Los Angeles, Instacart is initially sourcing goods from Whole Foods Market stores only but plans to work with other retailers as it does elsewhere in the US.
"In other cities, we deliver from Safeway, Costco, BJ's, Shaw's, Harris Teeter and many smaller regional chains," a spokesperson told just-food. "We'll be adding stores and expanding our delivery area in L.A. in the coming weeks."
Instacart says "the vast majority" of customers select its two-hour delivery option for a charge of US$3.99. One-hour delivery is also available for $14.99. Customers must place an order worth at least $10.
Last June, after receiving $8.5m in funding, Instacart announced plans to add ten cities to its debut city of San Francisco by the end of this year.
Costco Wholesale Corporation - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and ser...
Whole Foods Market, Inc. - SWOT Analysis company profile is the essential source for top-level company data and information. Whole Foods Market, Inc. - SWOT Analysis examines the company’s key busi......
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
US group Nutroganics has struck a deal to buy soy yoghurt firm Wholesoy & Co....
Synopsis Canadean's "Costco Wholesale UK Limited (Foodservice): Foodservice - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile co...
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Campbell aligns structure with growth objectives
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report