US: Online service Instacart enters Los Angeles
Instacart wants to be available in 11 US cities by end of 2014
US food delivery service Instacart has started doing business in Los Angeles, its seventh city since its launch in San Francisco in 2012.
Instacart, which claims to be the only service that can deliver groceries from multiple local stores within an hour, said local demand had prompted its move into the city.
"We expect that the traffic and long commutes in L.A. will drive demand similar to what cold weather does for the east coast. Instacart will allow L.A. residents to avoid making those detours to the grocery store while continuing to get the healthy foods they love," Apoorva Mehta, the founder of Instacart, said.
Instacart has a "crowdsourced" labour force - dubbed "personal shoppers" - who deliver a consumer's shopping in their own vehicles. In Los Angeles, Instacart is initially sourcing goods from Whole Foods Market stores only but plans to work with other retailers as it does elsewhere in the US.
"In other cities, we deliver from Safeway, Costco, BJ's, Shaw's, Harris Teeter and many smaller regional chains," a spokesperson told just-food. "We'll be adding stores and expanding our delivery area in L.A. in the coming weeks."
Instacart says "the vast majority" of customers select its two-hour delivery option for a charge of US$3.99. One-hour delivery is also available for $14.99. Customers must place an order worth at least $10.
Last June, after receiving $8.5m in funding, Instacart announced plans to add ten cities to its debut city of San Francisco by the end of this year.
Synopsis Canadean's "Costco Wholesale UK Limited (Foodservice): Foodservice - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile co...
Costco Wholesale Corp, which leads mixed retailers in Canada, has performed well in the face of increased competition and a changing social and demographic landscape. While the retailer benefited from...
The company continues to push ahead with its expansion plans, with three stores expected to open in 2013: one each in New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria. The retailer will open its seventh local...
Introduction Food Retail in Canada industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The prof......
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- Arla strikes JVs in Nigeria and Senegal
- KitKat to go sustainably sourced cocoa only
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Biscuit Manufacturers (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis