UK: Organic sector sees first growth since 2008
Yeo Valley among "most popular" organic brands in UK supermarkets
Annual sales of organic products in the UK rose for the first time since 2008, according to data issued by certification body The Soil Association today (13 March).
UK organic sales were up 2.8% to GBP1.79bn in the year to 4 January, The Soil Association said.
Meat, fish and poultry sales were up 2.2%, sales of organic veg grew 3.4% and dairy sales increased 4.4%.
Sales through supermarkets increased 1.2%. Sainsbury's – the country’s biggest organic retailer with 29% market share – generated a 7% increase in sales of its own-label organic products. Sales at Waitrose rose 6.5%.
The Soil Association said the figures indicated "other supermarkets are yet to capitalise on increasing consumer demand for organic".
However, Robert Sexton, the association's CEO, added: "To see the organic market showing such strong signs of growth, particularly when grocery sales as a whole are slowing, shows just how much potential there is in the organic sector."
The certifier said the early part of 2014 had suggested the "trend is set to continue". Organic sales in the first weeks of the year were up 2.5%.
Sales of organic products in the UK witnessed a return to growth in 2013, following four years of contraction. The market is now worth £1.7bn. This case study looks at how the organic market is define...
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details