UK: Organic sector sees first growth since 2008
Yeo Valley among "most popular" organic brands in UK supermarkets
Annual sales of organic products in the UK rose for the first time since 2008, according to data issued by certification body The Soil Association today (13 March).
UK organic sales were up 2.8% to GBP1.79bn in the year to 4 January, The Soil Association said.
Meat, fish and poultry sales were up 2.2%, sales of organic veg grew 3.4% and dairy sales increased 4.4%.
Sales through supermarkets increased 1.2%. Sainsbury's – the country’s biggest organic retailer with 29% market share – generated a 7% increase in sales of its own-label organic products. Sales at Waitrose rose 6.5%.
The Soil Association said the figures indicated "other supermarkets are yet to capitalise on increasing consumer demand for organic".
However, Robert Sexton, the association's CEO, added: "To see the organic market showing such strong signs of growth, particularly when grocery sales as a whole are slowing, shows just how much potential there is in the organic sector."
The certifier said the early part of 2014 had suggested the "trend is set to continue". Organic sales in the first weeks of the year were up 2.5%.
Sales of organic products in the UK witnessed a return to growth in 2013, following four years of contraction. The market is now worth £1.7bn. This case study looks at how the organic market is define...
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Emerging markets online: India's food retail scene
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- McCain to close Grobbendonk plant in Belgium
- Jobs to go at FrieslandCampina cheese plant
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- Monde Nissin "to acquire Menora"
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019