Osem feels force of competition in 2015
Osem subject to buy-out offer from Nestle
Osem Investments, the Israel-based food group, saw sales and profits fall in 2015, hit by increased domestic competition - which led to increased spending on promotions - and lower revenues in Europe due to foreign exchange.
The company, of which majority shareholder Nestle is looking to take full control, booked sales of ILS4.17bn (US$1.07bn) for last year, down 2% on 2014.
Operating profit stood at ILS527.7m, a 0.7% decline on a year earlier. Net profit fell 3.1% to ILS384.1m.
Osem said sales from its domestic culinary business dropped 5.9% in 2015. The culinary arm, which sells products including soups, meat analogues and hummus, pointed to stiffer competition. The company said moves to expand promotions and discounts hit sales and margins. Osem also cited changes in local regulations that meant payments made in the past as part of selling expenses had been changed to discounts.
Revenue from Osem's infant nutrition division fell 2.3% amid increased competition, investment in promotions and the change to rules on payments.
Osem said its international division saw revenue slide 4.8%. The company saw salad sales in the US rise 13.7% but revealed sales in Europe dropped 10.8%.
On Thursday (17 March), a shareholder meeting will be held to vote on Nestle's bid to buy the 36.3% of Osem it does not already own.
Canadean's "Nestle Pakistan Limited : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile con...
Canadean's "Nestle India Limited : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contai...
This week, Bel struck a deal to buy a majority stake in fellow French group MOM Brands. Another French food major, Danone, faced criticism in the US over its plans for GMO ingredients. US snack maker ...
Canadean's "Nestle (Malaysia) Bhd : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile conta...
Nestlé France SA recorded stagnation in 2013 and modest progression in 2014 and 2015. The French subsidiary of the Switzerland-based multinational consumer goods giant has experienced a promising nasc...
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review