GERMANY: Otto to close online supermarket
German mail order and online retailer Otto is to close its online supermarket as of 30 June. The Hamburg-based company said the decision to discontinue the site was due to the current negative economic environment in Germany and the "ruinous price competition in the retail-food sector", which show no sign of allowing productive sale volumes in the foreseeable future. Otto faced tough competition from discount retailers, including Aldi and Lidl.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Wessanen eyes growth in "resurgent" organic market
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Unilever launches operational review
- Kerry operating earnings strengthen on slow sales
- Glanbia focuses on nutrition with Irish dairy spin
- Kerry's Scanlon to replace McCarthy as CEO
- Mondelez launches savoury snacks brand Vea