GERMANY: Otto to close online supermarket
German mail order and online retailer Otto is to close its online supermarket as of 30 June. The Hamburg-based company said the decision to discontinue the site was due to the current negative economic environment in Germany and the "ruinous price competition in the retail-food sector", which show no sign of allowing productive sale volumes in the foreseeable future. Otto faced tough competition from discount retailers, including Aldi and Lidl.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- Comment: Premier has more to ponder than Brexit
- The food market in 2017 - consumer trends and M&A
- Trump seen as negative for global food trade
- Analysis: B&G Foods balancing growth and decline
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- Nestle mum on Mead Johnson takeover talk
- Mondelez sells Vegemite to Bega
- Kellogg to slash 250 jobs
- Lindt sees FY sales acceleration on Europe growth