AUS/NZ: Oz to stand ground in NZ apples row
Australia has pledged to fight its corner in a trans-Tasman battle with New Zealand over apple imports.
Peter McGauran, Australia's Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, said the country will defend its quarantine processes after New Zealand launched a complaint against its neighbour at the WTO.
New Zealand has complained of delays in finalising a quarantine and inspection programme for its apple exports to Australia, McGauran said.
The Australians claim that New Zealand's orchards contain the bacterial disease fire blight, which is not present in Australia.
"The Australian government will strongly defend its actions and policy determination on the basis of science," McGauran said. "I am confident that our approach to quarantine is consistent with the WTO rules."
McGauran said the first step in the WTO dispute process was a consultation stage, which required Australia and New Zealand to try to settle their differences out of court.
"It is always Australia's strong preference to settle WTO disputes bilaterally," he said. "We will continue to work with New Zealand towards this end, but any resolution must be within the context of our science-based quarantine regime and very low-risk setting."
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review