FRANCE: Paris pledges aid for protesting produce farmers
France's Agriculture Minister, Bruno Le Maire, has promised "several millions of euros" of aid to the country's ailing fruit and vegetable sector.
The announcement, which was made during a visit yesterday to a fruit co-operative in the Pyrénées-Orientales département in the south of France, has placated angry farmers who have waged a campaign against cheap foreign imports in recent weeks.
"It represents a considerable financial effort (on the part of the state) at a time of budgetary restraint," Le Maire said.
The details of the emergency aid will be presented on 7 September when Le Maire announces a strategic plan for the sector that will make provision for structural changes on issues from commercial relations to economic competitiveness.
"We are heartened by Mr Le Maire's comments and are looking forward to the measures to be announced on 7 September," said a senior official of the main farmers' union, the FNSEA.
Unions have claimed that retailers "blackmail" produce producers into selling at below cost-price. They also underline the significantly higher labour costs of growers in France compared to counterparts in Spain and Italy and have called for market regulation at EU level.
Le Maire and his Spanish counterpart, Rosa Aguilar, are due to meet in Paris next month to draw up joint proposals to better regulate fruit and vegetable markets, ahead of a summit meeting of EU Agriculture Ministers on 19 September.
Sectors: Fresh produce
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report