ITALY: Parmalat expands into biscuits
In a flurry of shifts affecting the dairy sector, Italian multinational Parmalat has purchased US biscuit company BI for US$250m and, at home, paid Lit147bn for Gala Italia in Sicily and Carnini in Como. Ma Holding ranks third in the US biscuit market, its Mother's and Archway brands generating US$250m in annual sales.Gala Italia had national sales of Lit128bn a year and ended up losing in the bidding for the privatisation of the big municipal dairy company in Milan, won by Granorolo of Bologna for Lit130bn. Gala Italia says it plans to maintain its operations in Hungary (annual sales Lit186bn).At the same time, Parmalat is to divest some of its UHT business at home. This was a condition of Anti-Trust clearance of its purchase earlier this year of the dairy operations of rival Cirio for over Lit600bn. The potential buyer, for a reported Lit125bn, is believed to be a US company, although its identity is yet to be revealed.Meanwhile, Granarolo said it would bid in the privatisation of other city dairy companies, particularly in Vicenza in the north and Salerno in the south. Granarolo put its first half sales at Lit473bn for a growth of 10.4%, pre-tax profit being Lit7.7bn, up 31%.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- CAGNY analysis: Danone's growth strategy
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Interview: A2 Milk Co. chair firm's rapid rise
- Unilever launches operational review
- Bonduelle to buy US produce group Ready Pac Foods
- Nestle launches global sugar target
- Glanbia focuses on nutrition with Irish dairy spin
- Maple Leaf buys US plant-based group Lightlife