ITALY: Parmalat HQ searched in tax probe
A spokesperson for Parmalat said the raids had “nothing to do with the hearings in Parma”
Italian dairy Parmalat has had its offices raided today (10 December) by Italy's financial police over an investigation into tax.
In a statement, the Guardia di Finanza di Parma, in collaboration with the Tax Police of Bologna, said it was conducting searches against Parmalat, the Italian arm of parent Lactalis, accounts Pricewaterhouse Coopers, Italian bank Mediobanca and a law firm. The statement said the alleged offence was for the "embezzlement" of funds.
Parmalat is preparing to face a hearing over the acquisition of Lactalis's Americas operations from its parent earlier this year. The firm is being questioned over the use of a portion of the cash Parmalat used to finance the acquisition.
A spokesperson for Parmalat, however, told just-food the raids had "nothing to do with the hearings in Parma" and was regarding "tax crimes".
"The police department is carrying out an investigation ... so we can't say anything. We are waiting for the search to finish and we are giving them all the help we can. We can't comment on this further as we do not know what they are looking for," the spokesperson said.
Parmalat officials are due to attend two final hearings over the Americas acquisition on 17 and 21 December, after which, the jury will have 45 days to reach a conclusion.
Lactalis has signed a draft agreement with Netherlands' VanDrie Group for the sale of its veal processing subsidiary, Tendriade....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Nestle's focus on food for health - interview
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016