ITALY: Parmalat prepares for final hearing over Lactalis Americas buy
Parmalat confirmed in early October it had received an injunction from the Parma Court for a hearing on 26 October
The Italian dairy giant is being questioned over the use of a portion of the cash it used to finance the acquisition, which was finalised in July.
An initial hearing was held in October and the case is due to be finalised in two final hearings on 17 and 21 December. Italian Stock Exchange Authority Consob and minority shareholders Fidelity, Gamco and Amber have asked Lactalis to provide further clarifications on the price of the acquisition, the rationale for the deal and the synergies it hopes to generate.
A spokesperson for Parmalat told just-food today the jury will have 45 days to reach a conclusion once the hearing ends on 21 December.
"They will either reach a decision or order an inspection," the spokesperson said. "Parmalat is confident of a positive response from the judges because they will have an opportunity to speak with members of the [Lactalis] board and see that everything was done only in the interest of the company. It is not a financially driven group, it's an industrial group so what is done is in the interest of the company, its employees, workers and shareholders."
Lactalis has signed a draft agreement with Netherlands' VanDrie Group for the sale of its veal processing subsidiary, Tendriade....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Nestle's focus on food for health - interview
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016