ITALY: Parmalat prepares for final hearing over Lactalis Americas buy
Parmalat confirmed in early October it had received an injunction from the Parma Court for a hearing on 26 October
The Italian dairy giant is being questioned over the use of a portion of the cash it used to finance the acquisition, which was finalised in July.
An initial hearing was held in October and the case is due to be finalised in two final hearings on 17 and 21 December. Italian Stock Exchange Authority Consob and minority shareholders Fidelity, Gamco and Amber have asked Lactalis to provide further clarifications on the price of the acquisition, the rationale for the deal and the synergies it hopes to generate.
A spokesperson for Parmalat told just-food today the jury will have 45 days to reach a conclusion once the hearing ends on 21 December.
"They will either reach a decision or order an inspection," the spokesperson said. "Parmalat is confident of a positive response from the judges because they will have an opportunity to speak with members of the [Lactalis] board and see that everything was done only in the interest of the company. It is not a financially driven group, it's an industrial group so what is done is in the interest of the company, its employees, workers and shareholders."
Whilst the South African cheese category has tended to be fairly uneventful, there has been a slow move towards pre-packaged or fixed weight hard cheese. Both Clover SA and Parmalat SA offer fixed wei...
With the growing consumer demand for health and wellness as well as convenience, there continues to be support for new UHT milk packaging, for example Parmalat SA’s new Everfresh packaging which is de...
Lactalis has signed a draft agreement with Netherlands' VanDrie Group for the sale of its veal processing subsidiary, Tendriade....
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Campbell aligns structure with growth objectives
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report