US: PE firm Cerberus "eyes US$9bn deal for Safeway"
Safeway has said it is in talks with interested party
Private-equity firm Cerberus Capital Management is reportedly working on a US$9bn takeover bid for US retail giant Safeway Inc.
The Wall Street Journal yesterday (5 March) reported Cerberus had been hoping to secure a deal by now but could face competition from another US grocer, Kroger.
Cerberus is offering US$40 a share, the WSJ said. However, Kroger is mulling its own bid either for all or part of Safeway, the publication added.
Last month, Safeway admitted it was in talks over a possible sale of the company, although it did not name the interested party.
Cerberus, which has built a food retail business over the last eight years after two deals with Supervalu Inc, has been said to have been in talks with Safeway.
Earlier this week, Bloomberg reported Kroger had "recently" expressed interest, contacting Safeway - and also Cerberus about a possible deal should the private-equity firm buy the retailer.
Citing unnamed sources, Bloomberg said Safeway would prefer to be sold as a whole.
A spokesperson for Cerberus had not returned a request for comment at the time of writing.
Officials at Kroger could not be reached for immediate comment.
Canadean's "The Kroger Co. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview,...
Kroger continues to fight for share in the extremely competitive grocery channel, holding a 7% value share for the category. Kroger continues to focus on its core supermarket business through acquisit...
Agricultural Products in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). ...
Organic Food in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also con...
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Fonterra's full-year results – 10 things to learn
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- ConAgra suggests there is life in old brands yet
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- McCormick India JV hit by row
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015