US: PE firm Cerberus "eyes US$9bn deal for Safeway"
Safeway has said it is in talks with interested party
Private-equity firm Cerberus Capital Management is reportedly working on a US$9bn takeover bid for US retail giant Safeway Inc.
The Wall Street Journal yesterday (5 March) reported Cerberus had been hoping to secure a deal by now but could face competition from another US grocer, Kroger.
Cerberus is offering US$40 a share, the WSJ said. However, Kroger is mulling its own bid either for all or part of Safeway, the publication added.
Last month, Safeway admitted it was in talks over a possible sale of the company, although it did not name the interested party.
Cerberus, which has built a food retail business over the last eight years after two deals with Supervalu Inc, has been said to have been in talks with Safeway.
Earlier this week, Bloomberg reported Kroger had "recently" expressed interest, contacting Safeway - and also Cerberus about a possible deal should the private-equity firm buy the retailer.
Citing unnamed sources, Bloomberg said Safeway would prefer to be sold as a whole.
A spokesperson for Cerberus had not returned a request for comment at the time of writing.
Officials at Kroger could not be reached for immediate comment.
Canadean's "The Kroger Co. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview,...
Kroger continues to fight for share in the extremely competitive grocery channel, holding a 7% value share for the category. Kroger continues to focus on its core supermarket business through acquisit...
Global Fruit & vegetables industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also ...
Fruit & vegetables in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019