INDIA: Pepper exports drop by 50%
The Spices Board has revealed that over the course of the last five months, pepper exports from India have dropped by around 50% compared to same period figures for last year.Representatives from the Indian Pepper and Spice Trade Association (IPSTA) commented that other countries such as Malaysia and Brazil have increased production and are selling at lower prices, which are too competitive for the Indian pepper industry, whose higher prices are dictated by domestic demand.8,500 tonnes of Indian pepper were exported between April and August, at a value of Rs 174.2 crore, which compares poorly with the same period in 1999, which exported 21,150 tonnes worth Rs 401.75 crore.The latest pepper figures will affect the overall export statistics from India, which have registered an 18% fall in terms of quantity. Export quantities of all the major spices, with the exception of cardamom, mint, coriander, curry powder, spice oils and oleoresins, have also dropped.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review