BRAZIL: PepsiCo buys biscuit manufacturer Mabel
The company said the deal will strengthen PepsiCo's business in Brazil
PepsiCo has today (10 November) confirmed that it has acquired Brazilian biscuit manufacturer Mabel.
Last week, reports circled that PepsiCo was set to buy Mabel but neither PepsiCo or Mabel were immediately available for comment at the time of writing.
As part of the deal, PepsiCo is expected to employ 12,000 people and operate 19 food and beverage manufacturing facilities in Brazil. The deal is expected to strengthen PepsiCo's business in the emerging market, the company said.
John Compton, CEO of PepsiCo Americas foods and global snacks group said: "PepsiCo continues to build its global macro-snacks portfolio and make strategic investments that will drive our business performance and unlock long-term growth opportunities."
"Brazil is an extremely important market for PepsiCo and this acquisition well positions us in a key segment in the snack category there."
The transaction is subject to a post-closing review by Brazil's Council for Economic Defense. PepsiCo did not disclose financial details.
With five manufacturing plants in Brazil, Mabel has the infrastructure to produce more than 1m cookie packages per day, the company said. Mabel offers more than 200 products, including crackers, cookies and wafers.
Stevia has been widely used - with some success - in carbonated soft drinks and table-top sweeteners containing the ingredient continue to be launched. However, suppliers are increasingly looking at h...
A number of major suppliers have built a significant presence in the stevia sector, with new entrants emerging. Jonathan Thomas looks at the major players in the industry - Cargill and PureCircle - an...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019