ISRAEL: PepsiCo dips JV helps Strauss FY profits
Strauss had "good year across all segments", CEO Gadi Lesin said
Israel-based food and beverage maker Strauss Group today (26 March) reported a jump in annual profits.
Strauss booked a 39.1% rise in net income to NIS329m (US$94.3m) for 2013. EBIT grew 23% to NIS769m.
President and CEO Gadi Lesin said Strauss had a "good year across all segments" but pointed in particular to Brazilian coffee unit Três Corações and its US dips venture with PepsiCo, Sabra.
Dips and spreads is a fledgling business for Strauss, accounting for only 15% of its turnover. Coffee is the largest single business unit, generating just short of half Strauss's NIS8.14bn in 2013. The company's domestic food and beverage arm made another NIS3bn last year.
The company's international dips and spreads unit generated sales of NIS600m, up 14.9% on 2012. Strauss has two divisions within the dips and spreads business. Sabra, its US unit, saw sales grow 12.3% to NIS565m. Obela, its dips and spreads venture with PepsiCo outside the US, is a newer business and saw sales jump 82.6% to NIS34m. The Obela unit does business in Mexico and Australia.
Group turnover slid 0.5% on 2012 on the back of currency fluctuations. On an organic basis, excluding foreign exchange, sales were up 4.8%.
Click here for the full statement from Strauss Group.
For an interview with Strauss CFO Sahar Florence, conducted last week in London, click here.
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report