One of the five PepsiCo distribution centres in Mexico hit by firebomb attacks at the weekend remains closed, the US food giant has confirmed.

The attacks, linked to a local drugs cartel, hit five distribution centres run by PepsiCo snacks arm Sabritas in the states of Guanajuato and Michoacan.

A spokesperson for PepsiCo told just-food yesterday (30 May) one of the sites was "completely down". Reflecting on the situation overall, she added: "Partial service has been restored and full service expected shortly."

Four alleged members of a drugs cartel have been reportedly arrested following firebomb attacks on PepsiCo distribution centres in Mexico.

According to Reuters, four members of the Los Caballeros Templarios, or Knights Templar, gang had been apprehended in the state of Guanajuato, in the centre of the country.

ABC News reported on Tuesday the attorney general of Guanajuato had alleged those arrested had said the motive behind the attacks was extortion.

There has been speculation, however, the gang believed Sabritas was allowing Mexican authorities to use its trucks to spy on the cartel, ABC News said.

In a statement provided to just-food, PepsiCo declined to comment directly on these claims but said: "Our facilities and other privately-owned assets are dedicated to making, moving and selling our products to our customers and consumers. We are solely focused on delivering the products people know and love."

PepsiCo said it was "working closely with federal and state authorities who are aggressively investigating these crimes".

No injuries were reported after the attacks at the sites in Apatzingan, Lazaro Cardenas and Uruapan in Michoacan state. There were also no reports of injuries at the sites in Salvatierra and Celaya in Guanjautao state, PepsiCo said.

The company said it was "still evaluating the financial impact" and added it expected "business to be fully operational in the coming weeks".