SINGAPORE: Petra Foods downbeat over low cocoa prices
Petra Foods, the Singapore-based consumer and B2B chocolate and cocoa group, has sounded a warning over the prospect of lower cocoa prices on its ingredients business this year.
The company, which supplies to customers including Kraft Foods, Mars Inc and Barry Callebaut, saw sales from cocoa ingredients fall by almost 13% in the first three months of the year on the back of "weaker" cocoa bean prices.
Petra Foods said EBITDA from the division, which accounts for the majority of its turnover, increased 1.4%. However, it warned the division's results in 2012 could be lower than last year if the trend on cocoa prices continues.
"Although the cocoa ingredients started the year on a positive note, the industry and market is facing headwinds in the form of pricing pressure as a result of the excess supply situation. If the situation persists, the financial performance of our cocoa ingredients division in 2012 is expected to be significantly lower than that achieved in 2011," CEO John Chuang said today (10 May).
The fall in revenue from Petra's cocoa ingredients arm led to lower overall turnover in the first quarter of 2012. Revenue fell 7% to US$402.6m despite a 9.5% increase in branded consumer sales. The higher sales from consumer products helped boost earnings from that division, with EBITDA up 27.3%.
Group EBITDA increased 13.5% to US$34.5m. Net profit rose 20.5% to US$16.3m.
Chuang said: "The performance of our Branded Consumer Division in 2012 is expected to remain strong, essentially a continuation of the growth momentum already generated in the first quarter of 2012. The consumption environment in our regional markets is expected to remain vibrant supported by the strong regional economies and fast growing middle income class."
Business Monitor International's Argentina Food and Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, food and drink associations, government departments and regulatory...
Shares in Danone rose today (7 November) after reports activist investor Nelson Peltz had acquired a stake in the French food giant....
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Japan's Sanyo takes stake in Olam's food biz
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: Merger and Acquisitions May 2014
- Colombia - ISA Country Report
- Food Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide