UK: Sainsbury's update: Petrol crisis
Robin Whitbread, Sainsbury's retail director said "We are very pleased, and relieved, that food services have been prioritised by government as an essential service to the nation, after emergency services and health. This means that we can now access and direct fuel to the suppliers of our primary food products - milk, bread, fresh foods and baby goods."Yesterday we were extremely busy, similar to a pre-Christmas week, and stocks were depleted severely by the end of the day. However, our distribution network is functioning well and overnight above average deliveries were made to our stores to replenish shelves."Our in-store bakeries worked through the night to ensure availability of our mainstream fresh bread lines' and we are confident, at the moment, that we are able to offer essential products in the majority of Sainsbury's stores. Our business continuity unit has been co-ordinating efforts across our business, helping to stabilise the situation."At the moment we have not introduced rationing on a nationwide basis however, we have authorised store managers to exercise discretion should there be a local need."Our internet site - Sainsbury's To You - is operating effectively and, subject to continued product availability, is getting deliveries through to our customers.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report