UPDATE: US: Pfizer tries to cool baby food "speculation"
Pfizer has insisted claims it has allowed Mead Johnson and Danone to table a joint bid for its infant nutrition business is "speculation" and said no decision has been made over the future of the division.
The US pharmaceutical giant told just-food that a Reuters report that claimed Mead Johnson and Danone were set to battle with Nestle for the infant nutrition unit was "based on a source's speculation".
A spokesperson for Pfizer said the company was still "exploring the strategic alternatives" for its infant nutrition business.
"We're continuing to pursue the activities associated with evaluating all options, including sale, spin-off or other transaction. However, no decisions have been made at this point," the spokesperson said. "We continue to be in a position to announce any decision in 2012, and continue to expect to complete any transactions that may result from this decision between July 2012 and July 2013."
Pfizer's infant nutrition business generated revenues of around $1.9bn in 2010. It sells products including infant formulas and growing-up milks in over 60 countries. It operates from five plants in Ireland, China, Singapore, the Philippines and Mexico.
There was a French flavour to the major industry headlines last week. Casino triumphantly announced its control of Brazil's largest retailer CBD. The new CEO at rival French retailer Carrefour made hi...
Danone has looked ahead to the "platform" it will attain in India's baby food market after sealing its takeover of the nutrition business of local firm Wockhardt Group, a year after agreeing on a deal...
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- KitKat to go sustainably sourced cocoa only
- Arla strikes JVs in Nigeria and Senegal
- Unilever claims victory in Becel dispute
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Biscuit Manufacturers (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis