UPDATE: US: Pfizer tries to cool baby food "speculation"
Pfizer has insisted claims it has allowed Mead Johnson and Danone to table a joint bid for its infant nutrition business is "speculation" and said no decision has been made over the future of the division.
The US pharmaceutical giant told just-food that a Reuters report that claimed Mead Johnson and Danone were set to battle with Nestle for the infant nutrition unit was "based on a source's speculation".
A spokesperson for Pfizer said the company was still "exploring the strategic alternatives" for its infant nutrition business.
"We're continuing to pursue the activities associated with evaluating all options, including sale, spin-off or other transaction. However, no decisions have been made at this point," the spokesperson said. "We continue to be in a position to announce any decision in 2012, and continue to expect to complete any transactions that may result from this decision between July 2012 and July 2013."
Pfizer's infant nutrition business generated revenues of around $1.9bn in 2010. It sells products including infant formulas and growing-up milks in over 60 countries. It operates from five plants in Ireland, China, Singapore, the Philippines and Mexico.
There was a French flavour to the major industry headlines last week. Casino triumphantly announced its control of Brazil's largest retailer CBD. The new CEO at rival French retailer Carrefour made hi...
Danone has looked ahead to the "platform" it will attain in India's baby food market after sealing its takeover of the nutrition business of local firm Wockhardt Group, a year after agreeing on a deal...
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- General Mills launches Greek yoghurt in Australia
- Dairy Crest earnings fall
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- China Resources Enterprise, Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019