FRANCE: Picard to be sold to Lion Capital
Picard will be sold to Lion Capital
French frozen food retailer Picard will be sold by private-equity firm BC Partners to another fund, Lion Capital.
A consultation period with employee representatives is expected to begin before the end of the week.
Following the completion of the process, BC Partners will be able to enter into a formal agreement with Lion Capital, with completion of the transaction set for the fourth quarter of 2010, pending approval by European competition authorities.
Lion Capital partner Lyndon Lea said: "Picard has established an enviable position within the frozen category by delivering consumers high quality food products with superior taste and nutritional characteristics at attractive price points. Throughout the economic cycle, the company has driven consistently strong financial performance by offering a high quality and convenient alternative to fresh food, underpinned by a strong emphasis on product innovation."
The company operates outlets throughout Italy and France as well as a delivery service in Barcelona, Belgium, Brussels and Luxembourg. In its most recent fiscal year, the company generated over EUR1.1bn (US$1.42bn) in sales.
Lion Capital is an investment firm which focuses on packaged goods and retail companies. Its previous investments include brands like Weetabix, Findus, Schweppes and Orangina.
The move follows speculation that BC Partners was considering either selling the chain or floating it on the stock exchange.
US seafood firm Bumble Bee Foods has been sold for US$980m, it has been revealed, after its owner said yesterday (15 December) that the deal, first announced last month, had been completed....
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Raisio buys UK, Ireland and Belgium Benecol ops
- Lactalis submits takeover bid for Arab Dairy
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report