MOZAMBIQUE: Pick n Pay to enter through franchise
South African retailer Pick n Pay has signed a franchise agreement with Retail Masters to enter Mozambique.
The deal, announced on Monday (8 November), will mean that the first store will open in March in Maputo.
"We have signed a master franchise agreement with Retail Masters for Mozambique which will provide us with the essential benefit of expert insights into the local market," said Pick n Pay enterprises division head, Dallas Langman.
The Maputo store will be approximately 3,000 square metres and the company plans to open a further three stores before the end of 2011. The first four stores will all be located in the greater Maputo district.
The company plans to "ensure that local farmers and suppliers are supported to stimulate and assist economic growth in Mozambique", added Langman.
Pick n Pay said the expansion into Mozambique follows its entry into Zambia in July.
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Mondelez set for union crosshairs next week
- Brazil seeks to cool concerns over meat probe
- Lactalis fails to hit threshold to delist Parmalat
- US meal delivery service Blue Apron buys BN Ranch