US: Pilgrim's Pride continues profit streak
Pilgrim's Pride has undergone a restructuring programme
US poultry producer Pilgrim's Pride has reported its third consecutive quarterly profit, with the bottom line boosted by restructuring initiatives.
The company said its earnings rose to US$42.9m in the July-to-September quarter, up from a loss of $162.5m in the comparable period of last year. Third-quarter sales rose 9.4% to $2.07bn, the company revealed.
The group, which Brazil-based JBS brought from bankruptcy in 2009, has undergone a restructuring programme that has seen it lower its cost base, revamp staff intensives and look to build an export presence. In August, Pilgrim's sold its commercial-egg operations to Cal-Maine Foods.
Commenting on the result, BMO Capital Markets analysts said they were encouraged by the strides that Pilgrim's Pride has made to improve the business fundamentals.
"Unquestionably, Pilgrims Pride has made tremendous strides in becoming a better operator in terms of 1) cost structure; 2) shift toward market-based contracts; 3) better analytics to focus on profits across the whole bird; 4) an extensive export program; and 5) sourcing of corn from South America," BMO said in an investor note.
However, the company could potentially be hit by volatility in US chicken prices, the analysts warned.
"We remain on the sidelines given our view on the US chicken recovery and the volatility associated with its Mexico profits," they added.
US egg firm Cal-Maine Foods has recorded an increase in third-quarter profit but said feed costs hit margins....
A focus on selling more yoghurt and cheese has boosted annual earnings at Brazilian dairy processor Vigor....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- Mars takes UK chocolate brands into trail mixes
- German dairy DMK to pursue cost-cutting plans
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights